Support Individuals and Communities Battling COVID-19
Nothing like an international pandemic to end one's mental health hiatus. Without further ado, here are a few ways you can help make a difference to those negatively impacted by the novel coronavirus.
- Contact your Senators: Rally your Senator's support around the Families First Coronavirus Response Act. Make sure your Senator is in support of the bill's quick passage to ensure free coronavirus testing, food assistance, unemployment benefits, and some paid family and sick leave for employees or companies that have fewer than 500 people. Urge your Senators to pass this bill, by calling: (334) 781-4020.
- Donate to your local food bank: Americans are emptying out store shelves as they brace for self-isolation. Stockpiling has become so intense that some food banks have seen decreases in donations from retail grocery stores. Find your local food bank to determine the immediate needs at: www.feedingamerica.org/find-your-local-foodbank.
GIVE: These pre-vetted charities are helping individuals, families, and communities battle coronavirus pandemic, across the United States and around the world:
- DirectRelief is coordinating with public health authorities, nonprofit organizations and businesses in the U.S., China and globally to provide personal protective equipment and essential medical items to health workers responding to coronavirus (COVID-19). Donate to their efforts at: https://www.directrelief.org/emergency/coronavirus-outbreak/.
- To date, MedShare International has shipped 2.6 million face masks and 80,000 isolation gowns to China and is working on additional relief efforts. As part of its disaster relief planning, MedShare works with partners throughout the year to preposition supplies so that they are on hand and can be quickly shipped to areas impacted by disasters. Donate to continue their efforts as the pandemic spreads at: https://impact.medshare.org/campaign/medshare-responds-coronavirus/c272201.
- Your donation to GlobalGiving's Coronavirus Relief Fund will help stop the virus's spread and give communities on the front lines of the crisis the resources they need to act quickly and protect the most vulnerable. Donations help send doctors, nurses, and other front line responders to communities in need; get masks, ventilators, and other lifesaving medical supplies to hospitals and clinics; deliver essential items to struggling families and older individuals in quarantined cities and refugee camps; feed children that rely on school meals as their only source of nutrition; support hygiene awareness efforts; and much more. Donate at: https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/coronavirus-relief-fund/.
- The Center for Disaster Philanthropy's COVID-19 Response Fund will focus on supporting local nonprofit organizations working in areas identified as having high numbers of affected individuals and those who are working with the most vulnerable populations in these areas to help build their capacity for response. These will include social service organizations focused on supporting hourly wage earners, workers in the gig economy, immigrant/New American populations, older adults, people with disabilities and other communities vulnerable to the physical health, mental health and economic impacts of the pandemic. Donate to the CDP COVID-19 Response Fund at: https://disasterphilanthropy.org/donate-to-the-cdp-covid-19-response-fund/.
- The CDC Foundation's Emergency Response Fund will address a wide variety of in-the-moment, on-the-ground needs from public health responders, at the local, state, national and international level. Donations will help communities prevent, detect and respond to the pandemic, as well as deploy skilled emergency staffing, fund and deliver critical home essentials to quarantined and isolated individuals. You can give to their crowdfunding efforts at: https://give4cdcf.org/?utm_source=CDCF&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=combat-coronavirus.
LEARN: Frustrated by social distancing? Who isn't? Artist couple Juan Delcan and Valentina Izaguirre provide a unique, animated take on the impact of social distancing and flatting the curve. Watch the full animation on their twitter page or their instagram.
Learn more about why flattening the curve depends on you at: https://www.vox.com/videos/2020/3/16/21182196/fight-coronavirus-social-distancing-flatten-curve.
Have an idea on how to help with this issue or a different cause? Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line that includes your cause and whether your suggestion involves donating (GIVE), taking action (ACT), or bringing more awareness to the cause (LEARN).